Federal data is complete from 1998-2017. State and local data is complete from 1998-2011. In the tables and charts below, acres are allocated to each program proportionate to the size of the contributions to each acquisition. For example, if an acquisition had two contributions, and each program contributed equal dollar amounts, each program receives 50% of the acres. If you have questions or want to provide updated information, please contact Jessica Welch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Profile of State Program(s)
North Dakota Game & Fish Department: The North Dakota Game and Fish Department’s mission is to protect, conserve, and enhance fish and wildlife populations and their habitats for sustained public use. Data on land conservation by the GFD is currently being compiled and will be available in the next update.
In November 2014, a proposed state constitutional amendment was defeated, garnering only 21 percent support. The measure faced heavy business opposition. It would have dedicated 5% of the state’s oil extraction tax money to parks and conservation for the next 25 years, or about $75 million annually.
North Dakota Outdoor Heritage Fund: North Dakota’s Outdoor Heritage Fund was established in 2013 as a multi-million dollar program to provide grants to state agencies, tribal governments, political subdivisions, and nonprofit organizations. The fund cannot be used to fund land acquisition in fee or permanent conservation easements. Easements must be temporary and cannot exceed 20 years. The Outdoor Heritage Fund will receive up to $40 million per biennium from oil and gas production tax revenue.
Local Financing Enabled
Counties in North Dakota can bond and levy property taxes specifically for the acquisition of land for “park and recreational purposes.”
Local Programs Included
No county-level conservation finance measures have been approved by voters in North Dakota. For more information, visit www.landvote.org.
Federal agencies and programs that have conserved land in North Dakota include:
- U.S. Bureau of Land Management
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – Migratory Bird Conservation Fund (MBCF)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – Section 6 Grant
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. National Park Service
- U.S. National Park Service – LWCF Stateside
- U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service – Farm and Ranch Lands Protection Program (FRPP)
- U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service – Grassland Reserve Program (GRP)
- U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service – Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP)